Yield: 9 servings
A little sweet and a little savory, this rich dessert hits the spot, any way you serve it or slice it.
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon soda
- ¼ cup shortening
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 8 ounces OR 1 cup Dr Pepper
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped dates
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and soda.
- Cream shortening and sugar together well.
- Add egg; beat until fluffy.
- Stir in half of the graham cracker mixture.
- Add Dr Pepper and vanilla; mix well.
- Add remaining graham cracker mixture, mixing well. Stir in dates and nuts.
- Pour into a greased 8-inch square pan.
- Bake at 350˚ F about 35 minutes. Serve warm or cold.