Yield: 8 servings
Make this ultimate Dr Pepper BBQ Chicken Mac and Cheese ASAP, and thank us later. In partnership with Tasty.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar, divided
- 1 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 can Dr Pepper
- ½ teaspoon liquid hickory smoke
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 rotisserie chicken, deboned and shredded
- 1 cup pickled jalapeños
- Preheat oven to 400° F/200° C.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Once melted, add flour and whisk together until bubbling. Allow to bubble for 30 seconds to 1 minute, whisking every 10 seconds.
- Whisk in milk and add Pepper Jack, 3 cups cheddar, salt, and pepper. Stir until thick and cheesy. Add cooked pasta and stir.
- Scoop pasta into a casserole dish, and cover with remaining cheddar.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese on top is melted.
- In a large saucepan, bring Dr Pepper to a boil and reduce by one-third.
- Whisk in liquid smoke, tomato paste, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Reduce until thickened.
- Add shredded chicken and stir. Scoop on top of baked macaroni and cheese.
- Cover with pickled jalapeños and other desired toppings.